Last updated: March 24, 2023
A sauna on its own does the trick when it comes to relaxation, but there are various accessories available that can further enhance the overall sauna experience.
For example, a thermometer can help you track the temperature, and a bit of eucalyptus oil will help you relax more while sitting inside the sauna.
Below are 12 of the best sauna accessories you should consider buying if you’re the lucky owner of a sauna or steam room at home or a regular visitor of a public sauna.
Top 12 Sauna Accessories
In no particular order, here are twelve surprisingly useful sauna accessories that can make your sauna experience even better.
1. Sauna Bucket and Ladle
Pouring water over sauna rocks not only creates a pleasant wave of steam but also helps to heat up the room a bit quicker.
A purpose-built sauna bucket is an essential accessory to have available in your sauna, rather than using a simple bottle of water, for example.
In addition, a quality sauna bucket with a ladle is able to deal with the high temperatures inside the sauna and will last a long time.
- Real Finnish Pine: This sauna bucket and ladle set is made from knotless pine...
- Durable: The sauna pail includes a near-invisible plastic liner that prevents...
- Handmade: The sauna bowl and scoop are hand polished to perfection and ready for...
2. Sauna Thermometer
A sauna thermometer is important because you need to make sure the sauna doesn’t get too hot. Similarly, you will also want to make sure the temperature in your sauna doesn’t stay below the desired temperature for too long.
If you do decide to purchase a thermometer, make sure it is designed specifically for a sauna. It needs to be built with the right materials so that it can withstand high temperatures.
Some thermometers come combined with a hygrometer which measures the humidity and water vapor inside the sauna.
- Northern Lights Group Sauna Thermometer: Western Red Cedar Wood Fininsh Dry...
- 100% Western Red Cedar
- 5.5" Tall by 5.5" Wide with Large 3" Dial
3. Sauna Hourglass Sand Timer
In addition to a thermometer, a sauna hourglass sand timer is a useful accessory to have as it gives you an idea of how much time you’re spending inside the sauna.
Attach this product to one of the walls and rotate the sand timer as soon as you start your sauna session.
Note that this product is available in different sizes representing different time periods, from 1 minute to 60 minutes.
- WIDELY USE:The sauna hourglass is designed to the hot and steamy environment of...
- PRECISE TIME:The wood 15 minute sauna hourglass timer is engineered in the USA...
- ROTATING SAUNA SAND TIMER: Just mount to the wall with 2 screws included.The...
4. Sauna Rocks
If you have a sauna at home or are about to buy a new one, it’s important to think about what kind of sauna rocks you should use for your particular sauna.
There are different types of sauna rocks and stones, some are better than others, and size is an important factor too. Good sauna rocks should be able to create and maintain heat properly.
Have a look at our extensive guide to sauna rocks to help you find the best ones for your sauna.
5. Sauna Backrest
Some might say this is a luxury item, but a well-designed sauna backrest does actually improve the sauna experience significantly.
Many people tend to become somewhat restless, or even bored, when sitting in a sauna for a while. Also, a sauna bench typically isn’t super ergonomic, which can trigger restlessness.
A quality backrest is designed to fit the natural arch in your back, creating a more comfortable and ergonomic seating position.
- Set of two backrests
- Constructed from natural solid Canadian Hemlock wood
- Ergonomic design for added comfort
6. Sauna Neckrest
Where a backrest supports your back when sitting on a sauna bench, a sauna neckrest provides support for the neck when lying down.
This particular product is made of natural bamboo and acts as a sturdy support pillow that can withstand high temperatures and humidity inside a sauna or spa.
The pillow is designed to be placed under the neck, not directly under the head, for optimum support when relaxing in a lying position.
- GET COMFORTABLE: Using the neck support pillow made of bamboo, you can get truly...
- REAL BAMBOO: Made using real bamboo for a sturdy support pillow that can...
- SPECS: Overall, this pillow measures 13.6" x 8" x 4" (34.5cm x 20cm x 9cm) and...
7. Eucalyptus Oil
Certain smells can have a positive impact on our state of mind. The scent of eucalyptus oil is particularly effective when it comes to creating a relaxing effect.
There are various ways to enjoy the smell of eucalyptus oil during a sauna session. One way is by using a dispenser to spray the oil into the air.
Another way is by adding a few drops of oil to the water before pouring that over the rocks. Or you can also spray the oil directly on the rocks.
- THE BEST SMELLING & EFFECTIVE EUCALYPTUS OIL - 100% pure and natural, no...
- PREMIUM QUALITY GLASS DROPPER - Comes packaged with a dropper for ease of use.
- MULTIPURPOSE DIY - Great for aromatherapy, massage, skincare, diffusers,...
8. Oil Cup Holder
To take the eucalyptus oil experience to the next level, use a purpose-built oil cup holder to spread that much-desired scent evenly throughout your sauna session.
This holder needs to be attached to the wall with the bowl sitting right above the heating element to produce that aroma as the temperature gradually rises.
The bowl is attached to a swing arm, so you have some flexibility in securing the holder to the wall.
- What's This For - Suitable for traditional or infrared sauna, it can be used to...
- Oil Cup Size - The cup high 2.5 inches; Diameter: 4.8 inches; Swing arm: 9.57...
- Swing Arm - Easily place the metal bowl over the sauna rock or infrared heater,...
9. Body Towel Wrap
A body towel wrap is essentially a big towel that fits nicely around the body, perfect for sauna use, especially in public saunas. It’s typically available in men’s and women’s versions and different sizes.
They are comfortable and easy to wear, not too thick or heavy, and can also be used for other purposes such as gym and pool visits.
Since a sauna towel will absorb a lot of sweat, it’s crucial to choose a durable one that will last long without attracting stains and unpleasant smells in the long term.
- Natural soft cotton Terry Velour Body Wrap for Men with world famous Turkish...
- They're perfect for drying naturally on a clothesline. As a rule of thumb, when...
- Multi-needle Turkish Stitching from world famous Denizli region of Turkey with...
10. Body Brush
If you’re looking to also improve your skin during a sauna session, a sauna brush might be an accessory to consider purchasing.
The natural bristles of a sauna brush are perfect for gently scrubbing wet skin. They remove dead bits and also make your skin feel and look more smooth if used correctly and regularly.
A good sauna brush will also promote improved blood circulation and can even help to reduce cellulite.
11. Seat Cushion
Similar to how a backrest adds more comfort, a seat cushion serves a similar purpose.
Sauna benches are typically made with hardwood and are not always the most comfortable. A seat cushion does provide that extra comfort that some of us need when sitting on a bench for a longer period of time.
Most sauna seat cushions are made with durable polyester fabric and are filled with moisture-resistant foam. They often also come with washable covers that have a zipper.
- LONG TERM DURABILITY - Designed to provide comfort and durability, the fade- and...
- THE PERFECT SUPPORT - Add extra comfort to your sauna with a sauna seat cushion....
- REMOVABLE CUSHION COVER - A zippered, machine washable cover is easy to keep...
12. Russian Sauna Hat
If you’re familiar with the Russian sauna process, you may also have seen these interesting-looking hats.
One of the reasons these hats are worn is to prevent the head from overheating and also to protect hair and ears against heat.
Made of 100% natural sheep’s wool, a Russian sauna hat is surprisingly comfortable and easy to wash. One size fits all.
Check out our detailed guide to the Russain Banya experience to get a better idea of what that’s like.
- Made of 100% Natural Sheep's Wool - Soft and Weightless. Thickness 3.00 mm. Eco...
- Protection the hair from the harmful effects of high temperature. Protection the...
- Convenient loop makes it easy to dry and store